The following is fundamental to the interpretation and implementation of the school policy.
1. Learners with 50 or more demerits must sit detention.
2. No learner will be excused from detention, unless a doctor's certificate is handed in. (A learner may not be exempted more than once from detention.)
3. If a learner does not attend detention, he/she will get a further 50 demerits.
4. If a learner has more than 200 demerits (only demerits) the parents will be contacted by the Disciplinary Head.
5. If a learner has 300 or more demerits (only demerits) an internal hearing will be conducted in which the Disciplinary Head, the Grade Guardian, the learner and his/her parents will be present.
6. With all category 3 misconducts or persistent misconducts, the Disciplinary Head will, in consultation with the principal, request a disciplinary hearing from the Governing Body.
7. Only category 1 misconducts can be cancelled by merits earned.
8. A learner will earn 10 points per hour at all functions, like the Spring Show, Super 16 etc.
9. Staff members may only give merits to their own children after consulting the Disciplinary Head, with the exception of merits for academic achievement.
CATEGORY 1 MISCONDUCTS:
1.1 Homework incomplete/not done.
1.2 Diary, textbooks, scripts or SBA (School Based Assessment) not at school.
1.3 Textbooks and/or scripts not covered.
1.4 Not handing in signed school documents, reports, letters, competition forms or return slips from parents/guardians.
1.5 Neglect to hand in written evidence (medical certificate/letter signed by parents/guardians) the day after being absent.
1.6 Not cleaning the classroom.
1.7 Disobedience, not listening or paying attention in class.
1.8 Disruption of class by any unacceptable behaviour.
1.9 Messing, eating, drinking or chewing gum in the class.
1.10 Copying homework or allowing your homework to be copied.
1.11 Misconduct regarding appearance or uniform.
1.12 Improper physical contact on the school grounds, at school events or in public.
1.13 Deliberate absence from formal school events.
1.14 Swearing and improper language.
1.15 Hiding fellow learners' property.
1.17 Use or handling of cell phones during periods and between classes.
1.18 Damaging of school, staff or learners’ property (except for punishment, the learner is also responsible for the cost of repairing or replacing the damaged property).
1.19 Late for class or substitution class (after 2nd bell) without a valid reason.
1.20 Late for school or school activities.
1.21 Other less serious violations of the code of conduct or school rules.
CATEGORY 2 MISCONDUCTS
2.1 Dishonesty e.g. copying during tests or exams, forging signatures, etc.
2.2 Bunking, absence from classes or substitution class (according to time table), school activities or extramural activities without permission.
2.3 More serious offensive comments, arrogance or disrespect against educators, staff, SRC or fellow learners (body language).
2.4 Smoking or being part of a group who were smoking .
2.5 Possession and distribution of prohibited material/items/objects by cell phone, Facebook, Twitter and any similar media.
2.6 Absence from the detention class.
2.7 Offensive/harmful graffiti that is offensive to fellow learners, staff or any other person.
2.8 Colouring hair, highlights, dreadlocks or hair style not according to school rules
2.9 Serious misconduct of the Code of Conduct or school rules.
2.10 Disrespect regarding religious activities.
2.11 Substitution class - doesn't arrive or sits in the wrong class.
2.12 Slandering of the school, the staff or learners (serious misconduct can lead to a category 3 misconduct – see 3.7).
CATEGORY 3 MISCONDUCT
3.1 Hate speech, racism or sexism.
3.2 Behaviour or threats that put someone's safety at risk or violate their rights.
3.3 Initiation beyond the limits of the Code of Conduct and without supervision.
3.4 Possession or use of weapons or dangerous objects, or threatening to use weapons or dangerous objects.
3.5 Possession, use, handling or visible proof of drugs or unauthorised substances, alcohol or other harmful substances.
3.6 Fighting, assault, abuse or bullying.
3.7 Serious misconduct regarding slandering of the school, staff/learners.
3.8 Immoral behaviour.
3.10 Theft or possession of stolen property.
3.11 Violation of a national law that is punishable in a court of law.
3.12 Deliberate misinformation or forging of documentation to own, unfair advantage.
3.13 Involvement with the occult or satanic activities.
3.14 Refrain to adhere to previous punishment.
3.15 Any other very serious violations of the Code of Conduct or school rules.