A subsidiary of Rotary International, is a service-oriented club for high school students.
The Rotary motto of “Service above Self” applies to Interact too. This global youth network which comprises over 250 000 members across more than 120 countries, is dedicated to community and international service. Every Interact club project, great or small, makes a difference in the community, changes someone’s life for a day or even forever, and has a lasting impact on society worldwide.
Clubs are sponsored by individual Rotary clubs, which provide support and guidance. Ferdies Interact club is sponsored by Rotary Club of Potchefstroom Mooi, and consists of over 30 members, on average, from Grades 8 - 12.
The name “Interact” is a combination of the words “international” and “action”. It is truly an international phenomenon, and one of Rotary’s fastest growing programs.
Interact clubs are self-governing and self-supporting and can be either school or community based.
Our Interact club was chartered on 28 April 2009.
(from 2014 we started following the Rotary year which runs from July – June):
· 2009 Elzette Ford (Charter President)
· 2010 Kagontle Bartlett
· 2011 Lyndan Schutte
· 2012 Athi-Ande Hlaba
· 2013 Johnry Ford
· 2014 Nthabiseng Dlamini
· 2014 – 2015 Palesa Papers
2015 – 2016 Gosiame Tlhapi
Each year Ferdinand Postma High School sends 2 – 3 Grade 11 Interactors to the RYLA camp sponsored by our Rotary District. RYLA stands for Rotary Youth Leadership Awards, and the camp is both great fun and worthwhile as it helps to develop leadership in our youth;
The District Interact Conference is another place to interact, have fun, learn from one another and develop oneself as a person. Ferdies hosted this annual conference from 2012 – 2014 and this year we travelled to Kimberley with a group of 8 Interactors who benefited from the interaction!
Since 2014 Ferdinand Postma High School have raised thousands of Rands each year to fund our own projects. The best fund-raisers have been two outdoor cinema evenings which brought in approximately R12 000. The first was a Drive-In on the rugby field where the patrons could tune into the soundtrack of the movie on their car radios. The second was an outdoor cinema experience with an enormous blow-up screen which featured Pad na jou Hart and patrons could meet and obtain autographs from the stars of the movie themselves.
Service above Self - Projects
Of the many projects that have made a difference in people’s lives we have:
· Visited the children’s ward at Potch Hospital where we donated socks and played with the children;
· Attended the 30-Year Celebration of the Potchefstroom Service Centre for Senior Citizens where we addressed the gathering, served tea and presented each guest with a commemorative bookmark;
· Collected and bought shoes for Thakaneng Orphanage;
· Visited crèches and day care centres, taking Easter eggs and playing with the children;
· Supported the CANSA Relay for Life by participating and raising over R1500 for cancer victims and their families;
· Donated Christmas presents to 38 Voetligkinders;
· Visited Ons Hulde Home for the Aged to provide cake and tea and donate second-hand clothing;
· Visited a safe house in Potchefstroom;
· Raised over R2 000 for Child Welfare by selling Takkie Day stickers
· Helped Round Table 47 host a water point on their mountain bike challenge;
· Donated food hampers to Ferdie families in need, and Christmas hampers to the Ferdie grounds and kitchen staff – total value nearly R3 000;
· Donated R1 000 to provide a Shelter Box for the victims of the earthquake in Nepal;
· Taken wheelchair-bound senior residents of an old-age home for weekly walks;
· Presented the Simply Blessed Dragon Boat team with bookmark mementoes to celebrate their victory over cancer;
· Raised R250 for Rotary International’s END Polio campaign by participating in a swimathon;
· Helped Potch Mooi Rotary at their annual Dragon Boat Festival, their Rotary Health Days, their Carols by Candlelight functions;
· Sponsored a tyre and helped paint tyres for dog beds at the SPCA;
· Cleaned up the Trim Park and Rotapark;
· Raised R500 and awareness for cancer research by initiating a Blue Glove dance;
· Collected senior citizens from Potchefstroom Old Age Homes to attend the Ferdie HONK! musical and hosted a tea for them;
· Collected stationery and donated it to a school for the deaf which burned down in Leeuwdoringstad;
· Bought R500 worth of stationery and books for a Mosaic after-school centre;
· Walked the dogs at the SPCA;
· In 2014 Ferdies Interact won the coveted trophy for the Best Interact Project in the District (Rotary District 9370). This was the Drive-In project which raised in excess of R6000. The funds were earmarked for community, international and Ferdie projects such as the Thakaneng shoes, the donation for a Shelter Box and the food hampers, respectively (see Projects).
· At the District conference 2015 we were placed 3rd with our Simply Blessed project at the Potch Mooi Dragon Boat Festival (see Projects).
· Our 2014 Interact President Nthabiseng Dlamini was selected for a Rotary Long-Term Exchange programme and is currently making a difference in Minnesota where she has been hosted by 4 families during the course of the year. She ends her exchange just after Christmas this year.
· Our 2015 Interact President Gosiame Tlhapi was selected for a Rotary Short Term Exchange Programme (STEP) and will be visiting Henning Mathern’s family in Germany for six weeks in December 2015-January 2016. In July-August 2014 we hosted Gosiame’s German counterpart, STEP student Henning Mathern who enjoyed a wonderful exchange visit and left a lasting impression on us all.